To be considered for admission to the Master of Arts degree and Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership, Global Cultures, and Social Enterprise students must:
- Have a four-year bachelor’s degree from a regionally or nationally accredited institution.
- Have a cumulative undergraduate grade-point average of at least 3.0 in the last two years of undergraduate study.
- Have a high degree of potential for advancement to an organizational leadership role.
- Have an ACM minimum TOEFL score of 90 on the non-native language proficiency test if the student is an international applicant.
How to Apply
Begin the online application:
- Go to the MSU Admissions portal and begin your application. You can choose the Graduate degrees application link if you are interested in pursuing the MA or the Graduate certificates application link if you are interested in the certificate program.
- You will create an account and enter your personal information, academic history, and contact information for the people writing your letters of recommendation.
- In the online application, there is space to upload a “personal statement” and an “academic statement.” Please use the prompts found in this PDF document to complete your personal and academic statements.
- Upload resume or CV.
- Request 3 letters of recommendation from your references from academic or professional contacts who can attest to your potential for success in this graduate program. Once you submit the application, your letter writers will receive an email with instructions for submitting their letters through the online system.
- Submit official copies of official university or college transcripts. If you completed your undergraduate degree at MSU, you do not need to submit official MSU transcripts. Transcripts from other institutions need to be submitted through an official e-scripting service. The certified PDF can be emailed to email@example.com.
Once you have finalized all sections, please submit your application fee ($65 domestic and $75 international).
You can log into the student portal to review your application status, by going to https://explore.msu.edu/apply/.
Choose “Returning Users: Log In“
NOTE: This program does not require GRE scores.
What happens after I submit my application?
Admission to the Nonprofit Leadership programs involves a three-step review process:
- Completed application packets are submitted to the program’s Admissions Committee for review.
- Credentials will be forwarded to the MSU Office of Admissions for final review and approval.
- Accepted students will receive an admission letter from the MSU Office of Admissions approximately one month after their application has been submitted. Applicants will hear from a program academic advisor shortly after they receive their acceptance letter.